Dallas Resident Is Hospitalized After Getting Monkeypox

One Dallas person ended up in hospital once he tested positive for the rare illness – Monkeypox. He was flying from Nigeria to Atlanta before landing in Dallas, Texas.

Join Our Telegram channel here:

Once he arrived in Dallas, he didn’t check into a hospital, but he had serious symptoms three days later.

Local health officials and CDC concluded the patient struggled with Monkeypox, a rare and deadly illness.
In the beginning, the symptoms are like flu, swollen lymph nodes, and widespread rashes, especially on the face.

Now, the CDC thinks that it is not a threat for the Monkeypox outbreak because the person didn’t have much contact with people.

The Dallas Morning News reported:

The patient flew to Dallas Love Field from Atlanta on July 9 after arriving in the country earlier that day on a flight from Lagos, Nigeria, officials said.

Heath officials said the patient, whose identity was not released, was in isolation at a Dallas hospital and was stable. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was working with its counterparts in Nigeria to determine how the patient contracted the virus.

According to Dr. Philip Huang, Dallas County’s public health director, the patient went to the hospital Tuesday, four days after arriving in Dallas. Local health officials did preliminary tests, and the CDC confirmed the diagnosis of monkeypox on Thursday.

State, local and federal health officials, along with the airline, were working to identify people who may have had close contact with the passenger during the flights — but they expect the number of potential contacts to be low.

NBC News also covered this story.

A case of monkeypox has been confirmed in a Texas resident who had flown to Atlanta from Nigeria on July 8, with a final destination of Dallas Love Field Airport on July 9, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. It is the first case of the virus seen in the United States in nearly two decades.

The patient is hospitalized in isolation in Dallas and is in stable condition, health officials with the Dallas County Health and Human Services said.

“This case is not a reason for alarm and we do not expect any threat to the general public,” Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said in a press release.

The illness, caused by the monkeypox virus, has not been detected in the U.S. since a 2003 outbreak, which involved 47 people. That outbreak was traced to pet prairie dogs in the Midwest that harbored the virus.

But monkeypox can also spread from person to person through respiratory droplets or other bodily fluids.

Join Our Telegram channel here:


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker